Dr. Latika Vashist
Associate Professor , School of Law, Governance and Citizenship
- Phd “Law, Feminism and Emotions: Working Through the ‘Legal Unconscious’”, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University of Delhi and Centre for Women and Development Studies (CWDS)
- LLM, Indian Law Institute, New Delhi
- LLB, University of Delhi
- BA(H.), University of Delhi
- The Indian Law Institute (Dec., 2014 – Aug. 2022)
- Jindal Global Law School (Aug 2010 – Dec. 2014)
My Zone / Area of Expertise
- Criminal law, Feminist Legal Theory, Emotions and Law, Psychoanalytic Jurisprudence
- Teaching Excellence Award (2013) in Recognition of Outstanding Contribution to Teaching at Jindal Global Law School, O.P. Jindal Global University.
- UGC Junior Research Fellowship
- Late Shri M.K. Nambyar Medal for being the Best Researcher in the LL.M. Course.
- Prof. K.N.C. Pillai Medal for securing First Position in Criminal Law in the LL.M. Course.
- P.P. Rao Medal for securing First Position in Human Rights in the LL.M. Course.
- R.K. Anand Medal for securing First Position in the LL.M. Course.
- Scholarship of Merit throughout the study of LL.M.
- Rethinking Law and Violence (co-edited with Jyoti Dogra Sood, Oxford University Press and Indian Law Institute, 2020).
Annual Survey of Indian Law (ILI)
- On “Women and the Law” (2015 - 2020).
- “Emotions and Criminal Law - Limits of Martha Nussbaum’s Evaluative Conception” 63 JILI 298 (2021).
- “Pedagogy of CLE and CLE as Pedagogy: Conversation with Ved Kumari”, 11 Jindal Global Law Review (2021).
- “The Politics of Mourning: Justice and Healing in Manipur” in LI(50) Economic and Political Weekly (December 10, 2016).
- “Law and the Obscene Image: Reading Aveek Sarkar v. State of West Bengal” in Journal of Indian Law and Society 248-255 (Volume 5, Monsoon, 2014).
- “Re-thinking Criminalizable Harm in India: Constitutional Morality as a Restraint on Criminalization” in 55 Journal of Indian Law Institute 73-93 (2013).
- “Rethinking Human Rights through the Language of Capabilities: An Introduction to Capabilities Approach” in 1(1) Christ University Law Journal, (2012).
- “Martha Nussbaum’s Capabilities Approach: Promises and Perils” in 52 Journal of Indian Law Institute 230-266 (2010).
- “Enlivening Directive Principles: An Attempt to Save their Vanishing Present” in ILI Law Review (2010).
- “Total Control: Nussbaum’s Normative Account of Anger”, Journal of Practical Philosophy (Issue on “Philosophy, Praxis and the Turn to Affect”, 2021).
- “Anxiety and Everydayness” 733 Seminar (Sep, 2020).
- “Age Of Consent and The Impossibility of Child Sexuality” 721 Seminar (September, 2019).
- Malavika Rajkotia’s Intimacy Undone: Marriage, Divorce and Family Law in India, 696 Seminar (August, 2017).
- Uma Devi’s Arrest, Detention, and Criminal Justice System: A Study in the Context of The Constitution of India, 55 Journal of Indian Law Institute 388-392 (2013).
- “Re-writing Mahmood Farooqui” in Feminist Judgments Project: India Chapter (Forthcoming)
- “Law, Violence and Sexual Consent” in Rethinking Law and Violence (Oxford University Press and Indian Law Institute, 2020).
- “Ecosystem of Justice: Court Hierarchies, Administration and the Legal Profession” in Courts of India: Past to Present (Publications Division, Government of India, 2016) (co-authored).
- “Feminist Methodology And Legal Education: Some Reflections” in Manoj Kumar Sinha and Deepa Kharb (eds.), Legal Research Methodology (Indian Law Institute and LexisNexis, 2016).
- “We the People…” in The Preamble, Deepa Kansra et al., eds. 13-53 (Universal Law Publishing, 2013).
- “Secularism” in The Preamble, Deepa Kansra et al., eds. 76-101 (Universal Law Publishing, 2013) (co-authored).
- “Achieving Socially Relevant Legal Education through Rural Legal Aid Clinics” in Legal Aid: Catalyst for Social Change, Raman Mittal and K.V. Sreemithun, eds. (University of Delhi, 2012) (co-authored).
- “Conceptualizing Religion in the Public Sphere: Essential Practices Test and Beyond”, in Rethinking Law: Emerging Issues and Challenges (Authors Press, 2012) (co-authored)
Short Articles Magazines/ Newspaper
- “Thinking Forgiveness: Mother to Mother” Deccan Chronicle/The Asian Age (Jan, 2020). (Translated in Hindi and published in Dainik Tribune (Feb 16, 2020) and MediaVigil (Feb 2, 2020)).
- “To fight structural violence of sedition, (dis)loyalty is a virtue” Deccan Chronicle/The Asian Age (Oct, 2019).
- “Independent Thought v. Union of India: A Critical Comment” I Delhi Journal of Contemporary Law 120-122 (2018).
- “The terms of consent: on the Farooqui verdict”, The Hindu (October, 2017).
- “Under-representation of Women in the Judiciary: An Argument for Gender Diversity on the Bench”, American Bar Association, India Law News (2013).
- “Burgeoning Delhi Rapes: Some Reflections” Critical Twenties (May, 2013) (co-authored with Amit Bindal, available at: http://www.criticaltwenties.in/economicsocialpolicy/burgeoning-delhi-rapes-some-reflections).
- “Khilonon Aur Vigyapano Kay Mahaul Mein Khilona Banti Aaj Ki Aurat”, Yug Paribodh (September, 2012) (Hindi Magazine).
- “Criminal Law in Ancient Indian Thought”, Perspectives (2010).
- “Hierarchy of Courts: A discussion of Dilemmas”, Awaz Times (2009).
- “Securing Secularism”, Combat Law Journal (2008) (Co-authored).
- “Whither Socialism?”, Awaz Times (2008).
Seminar / Conferences
- Discussant on the panel on “The Construction of Offenders by the Supreme Court” at Academic Colloquium on Judicial Reasoning and Judicial Behaviour: A Study of the Supreme Court of India organised, organised by Centre for Public Law and Jurisprudence, Jindal Global Law School (29-30 April, 2017).
- Presented a paper titled “Anger in Criminal Law: Towards a Psychoanalytic Theory of the Legal Subject” at Criminal Justice and Critical Theory: A Workshop, National Law School Delhi (6-7 April, 2017).
- Presented a paper titled “Reflections on Feminist Methodology” at the annual conference on Legal research Methodology: Issues and Challenges organised by the Indian Law Institute, New Delhi (16-18 December, 2016).
- Chair and Discussant on the panel on “Evidence, Truth and Justice” at the Law and Social Sciences Research Network Conference “Thinking with Evidence: Seeking Certainty, Making Truth” at the India Habitat Centre, Delhi (10-12 December, 2016).
- Presented a paper titled “Law and the Prurient Interest” in the workshop on Death and Sex in Criminal Law organized by the Indian Law Institute (26th Sep- 1st Oct, 2016).
- Presented a paper titled “Ethics of the Force of Law in Enforcement of Morality” (co-authored with Amit Bindal) at the First Round Table Colloquium on "Should State Enforce Morality" to be held at NLU Jodhpur (April 1, 2016).
- Presented a paper titled “Taking the unconscious seriously: Theorizing Feminist Resistance” in two-day Research Scholars’ Workshop on Engendering Social Change: Practices of Resistance, organized by Centre for Women’s Development Studies (CWDS), New Delhi under the Vina Mazumdar Memorial Fund (30th -31st January, 2016).
- Presented a paper titled “How not to do Feminism: Reflections on Critical Pedagogy” in National Seminar on “Rights of Women in the Contemporary Era”, organized by the Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi in collaboration with the National Commission for Women (21-22nd November, 2015).
- Commentator on the theme of “Stereotyping in rape Adjudication” organized by Law and Policy Dialogue, National Law University, Delhi (24th September, 2015).
- On the expert panel for the Seminar on Sexuality and the Law organised by the Gender Studies Group, Delhi University (18th April, 2015).
- Presented a paper titled “Censorship, Sexuality and the Law: Law Penetrates the Sexual” at Cri De Femme Conference: The Becoming of a Sexual Feminine, Searching Desire and Pleasure, organised by the Claytaurus Collective in collaboration with the Movimiento Mujeres Poetas Internacional (MPI/ Women Poet’s International Movement), New Delhi (17 March, 2015).
- Presented a paper titled “Justice Beyond Lust: Interrogating Judicial Speech in Obscenity Cases”, at the 'Left' in the Dark? Postcolonial Conversations on Law, Neoliberalism and Queer-Feminist Futures Conference, O.P. Jindal Global University (15-18 October 2014).
- Presented a paper titled “Little Done and Vast Undone: Criminal Law Amendments of 2013 and Women’s Bodily Autonomy” (jointly authored with Amit Bindal) at the XIV National conference of the IAWS on Equality, Pluralism and the State: Perspectives from the Women’s Movement, Guwahati, Assam (4-7 February, 2014).
- Organized a panel on “Remorse and Forgiveness in the Criminal Justice System” at the Seventh Worldwide Conference of the Global Alliance for Justice Education (GAJE), Jindal Global Law School (10-18 December, 2013).
- Presented a paper titled ““Experimenting with Clinical Legal Education to Empower Communities” at the Jindal-Rollins Seminar on Globalisation and Governance in Asia & Curriculum Development Workshop for Liberal Arts and Humanities, Jindal School of Liberal Arts & Humanities, O.P. Jindal Global University (3-4 May, 2013).
- Presented a paper titled “Clinical Legal Education: Challenges of Balancing the Rhetoric of Law and the Reality of Justice” at the Bar Council of India Golden Jubilee Celebrations, Vigyan Bhawan (16- 17 February, 2013).
- Presented a paper titled “The Butcher in Us: A Response to the Euphoria at Kasab’s Execution” at the International Conference on Professionalism in Victim Assistance Programmes, Jindal Global Law School, India (22-23 February, 2013).
- Presented a paper titled “Vulnerability, Death & Solidarity: Imagining New Forms of Resistance to Violence” at the LASSNET Conference, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (14-16 December, 2012).
- Participated in the Workshop for Law Teachers on Access to Justice: An Agenda for Legal Education organized by Indian Law Institute (29 November, 2012).
- Consultation on setting up of a Legal Helpline by the TISS School of Law, Rights and Constitutional Governance held at National law School of India University, Bangalore (7 October, 2012).
- Presented a paper entitled “Social Justice Mission of Clinical Legal Education in India: Possibilities of Resurgence” at the Conference on Clinical and Experiential Learning: Global Trends in Legal Education, Centre for Law and Policy, Lahore, Pakistan (11 August, 2012).
- Presented a paper entitled “Achieving Socially Relevant Legal Education through Rural Legal Aid Clinics” at the International Conference on Legal Aid: Catalyst for Social Change, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi (17 March, 2012).
- Presented a paper entitled “Resisting Bodies and Emotions: An Inquiry into Mother Politics” at the International Conference on Feminism and the Law: Revisiting the Past, Rethinking the Present and Thinking the Way Forward, Indian Law Society’s Law College, Pune (10-12 February, 2012).
- Participated in the National Training programme on the Rehabilitation of Torture Victims organized by the Centre for Human Rights In collaboration with Shubodaya Centre for Torture Victims, Society for Social Research, Art and Culture, New Delhi (10 September, 2011).
- Presented a paper on “Rape Law Reforms in India” at the National Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Criminal Law and Morality, Ideal Institute of Management and School of Law, G.G.S. Indraprastha University (21 January, 2011).