Dr. Javed Iqbal Wani
Assistant Professor , School of Law, Governance and Citizenship
MA (2007-2009) and M.Phil.(2009-2011) from Center for Political Studies(CPS), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) New Delhi.
PhD (2012-2016) from Department of History, Royal Holloway, University of London, United Kingdom.
- Guest Faculty (2011-2012) at the Department of Political Science, Jamia Millia Islamia.
- Guest Faculty (2016-2017) at the Nelson Mandela Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution (NMCPCR). Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- Visiting Lecturer (2014-2016) at the Department of History, Royal Holloway, University of London, United Kingdom.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
I am interested in History(ies), Culture(s) & Politics of South Aisa, particularly India. My broad research interests are around issues pertaining to the nature of State, operations of Ideology, terrains of violence and configurations of resistance. Currently interested in issues such as 'law making and law enforcing', 'governmentality', 'surveillance' and 'state of exception'.
- Wani, J. (2022). Official discretion, errors, and oversights: Legal bureaucracy and the question of justice in twentieth-century India. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, 1-12. doi:10.1017/S1356186322000207
- Wani, Javed Iqbal. Regulating Hooligans and Mawaalis: Collective Action and the Politics of Public Order in Late Colonial India, South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies,(Nov. 2021)DOI: 10.1080/00856401.2022.1986928
- Wani, Javed Iqbal. “‘Using a Blacksmith’s Hammer to Crush a Fly’: Jallianwala Bagh, Public Order and Popular Protests in Late Colonial India.” History and Sociology of South Asia, (October 2021). https://doi.org/10.1177/22308075211049835.
- Wani, Javed Iqbal (2021) Public order and the fear of the ‘outsider’: porosity of labour politics in late colonial India, Labor History, DOI: 10.1080/0023656X.2021.1968360
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, "Court as a Theatre of Politics: Sikh- Muslim Confrontation in Colonial Punjab." Economic and Political Weekly, (Special article) Vol. 55, Issue 28-29, July 2020. https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/28-29/special-articles/court-theatre-politics.html
- Wani, Javed Iqbal. “Public Order and Popular Protest in Colonial India: Remembering Jallianwala Bagh Massacre after a Century.” (Working Paper) Cambridge Open Engage, 2020. doi:10.33774/coe-2020-b55vb-v2.
- Book chapter titled "British Colonialism, Authority and the Framework of 'Order' in Nineteenth century Colonial India"in the edited Volume Commanding Words: Essays on the Discursive Constructions, Manifestations and Subversion of Authority, edited by Dr. Lynda Chouiten, Published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing (may 2016) ISBN (13): 978-1-4438-8880-6.
- Review of "Nation-State and Minority Rights in India: comparative perspectives on Muslim and Sikh identities" by Tanweer Fazal in International Journal of South Asian History and Culture (Taylor & Francis), June 26, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/19472498.2015.1063215
- Review of "Kafkaland: Prejudice, Law and Counter-terrorism in India"by Manisha Sethi in Contemporary South Asia (Taylor and Francis), Vol 24, Issue: 01. https://doi.org/10.1080/09584935.2016.1153393
- "A Burkean Sensibility" published in Biblio, ISSN NO. 0971-8982, Jan- March Issue, 2017.
- "Court of Last Resort" published in Biblio ISSN No. 0971-8982, May 2016.
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'Remembering the Rashtrapita: Gandhi as an antidote to Hatred and Violence,' (Countercurrents, 03 October 2022), https://countercurrents.org/2022/10/remembering-the-rashtrapita-gandhi-as-an-antidote-to-hatred-and-violence/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'Authoritarian ambitions with a democratic interpretation,' (Countercurrents, 13 September 2022) https://countercurrents.org/2022/09/authoritarian-ambitions-with-a-democratic-interpretation/
- 'Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'Farmers and the defeat of populism,' (12 December 2021, The Indian Express),
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'A new age of surveillance in India', (Counter Currents, 1 August 2021), https://countercurrents.org/2021/08/a-new-age-of-surveillance-and-control-in-india/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'The BJP government is incapable of governance' (Counter Currents, 03 June 2021) https://countercurrents.org/2021/06/the-bjp-government-is-incapable-of-governance/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'Why political parties chase the myth of Muslim appeasement during elections' (The Indian Express, 04 April 2021)
- Wani, Javed Iqbal, 'Build trust before talks' (The Indian Express, 21 Feb. 2021) https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/build-trust-before-talks-7198463/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal & L. David Lal, 'Lessons in popular resistance' (The Indian Express, 26 January 2021), https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/lessons-in-popular-resistance-7162659/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal & L. David Lal, 'UP’s anti-conversion laws are a political weapon to further communalism' (The Indian Express, 7 December 2020), https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/uttar-pradesh-anti-conversion-laws-are-a-political-weapon-to-further-communalism-7095578/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal & L. David Lal, 'The Precarity of Dalit Lives in India' (The Indian Express, 27 October 2020), https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/dalit-atrocity-casteism-hathras-thakur-brahmin-rape-6903255/
- Wani, Javed Iqbal & L. David Lal, 'A pandemic of failures' (The Indian Express, 25 September 2020).
- Wani, Javed Iqbal & L. David Lal, 'Will Jammu and Kashmir Remain Hostage to the Narrative of Regional Conflict?' (9dashline, 21 September 2020),
- Wani, Javed Iqbal & L. David Lal, 'A secularism more inclusive ' (The Indian Express, 4 September 2020),